About the Patient Participation Group
Non-urgent advice: The Aims of the Patient Participation Group
“To work with their practice to provide practical support, to help patients take more responsibility for their own health and to provide strategic input and advice. PPGs are based on cooperation between the practice staff and patients.”
Purpose of a PPG
- To give practice staff and patients the opportunity to discuss topics of mutual interest in their own practice.
- A forum for patients and staff to improve and develop services within the practice by co-production.
- To provide an opportunity for patients to make positive and constructive suggestions/ideas about the practice and specific medical conditions as an ‘expert’ or ‘experienced patient’.
- To encourage health education activities within the practice.
- To involve further patients from the wider population.
- To involve patient participation in future commissioning of Health Provision.
We are striving to have a mix of the following people
- Active volunteers – people with time and commitments to action decisions.
- Interested professionals – the doctors and administrative staff who work within and know the system and can be co-opted onto the group as required.
- Key supporters – people with influence within your locality, e.g. local councillors, community workers or business people who help raise the profile of the group, and improve the chances of your group finding financial or other forms of support.